Percy Jackson


I know that as soon as my friend, Leah reads this she is going to text me, "You're such a nerd, Lauren!" But I don't care! I love children's books!
I have been reading a children's book series called Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. The series is about Greek Mythology set in present day. Percy, the main character (and also narrator of the books) discovers he is the son of one of the gods and must endure all of the consequences that this entails. As a Christian, obviously I do not believe in all that. I believe in the one true God who reigns over everything not just the sea or the sky. These stories are not real...that is why it is called mythology. Anyway, I read the first book, The Lightning Thief, and I loved it! I mean...this book is awesome!. Recently, Hollywood has made a movie version of this book. I was so excited to watch it. I loved the book, and I thought, "If the movie is half as good as the book, it will be great!" Well, I finally watched it...and to my disappointment, the movie was not anywhere near as good as the book. In fact, the movie wasn't anything like the book! I was frustrated the entire time! They took out major elements of the story...major! The movie was so cheesy! If anyone watches the movie without having read the books first, they will never want to read the books. So please, if you are reading this now...go out to your library and get The Lightning Thief. Read it, and NEVER watch the movie. My cousin, Bryce, who is going into seventh grade is reading the books, so he let me borrow book two, The Sea of Monsters. It was so good! The ending is shocking and leaves the reader wishing for more! I went straight to the library to get the third book, but it was checked out. I hate waiting! So right now I am reading one of those "get healthy" books that I told Leah I would read if she promised to read The Lightning Thief. :-) Hey, you do what you have to do to get people to read great literature which they otherwise would not read. ;-)

Happy Saturday, and Happy Summer Reading, folks!

Comments