"Why the Halfling?" ~ Seeing the Beauty in the Ordinary




Question 88: What are the outward means whereby Christ communicateth to us the benefits of redemption?
Answer: The outward and ordinary means whereby Christ communicateth to us the benefits of redemption, are his ordinances, especially the word, sacraments, and prayer; all which are made effectual to the elect for salvation.(1)
(1) Matt. 28:19-20; Acts 2:42, 46-47.
Question 11: What are God's works of providence?
Answer: God's works of providence are, his most holy,(1) wise,(2) and powerful preserving(3) and governing all his creatures, and all their actions.(4)
(1) Ps. 145:17.
(2) Ps. 104:24; Isa. 28:29.
(3) Heb. 1:3.
(4) Ps. 103:19; Matt. 10:29-31.
from the Westminster Shorter Catechism 1647
 
The Bible teaches that God extends His saving grace to us through ordinary means: the Word, sacraments and prayer. God is sovereign and also uses ordinary means to extend “common grace” to all as He governs the world. (See What Is Common Grace? by Timothy Keller for a better understanding of “common grace”).
Martin Luther and John Calvin emphasized this concept of God working through ordinary means in their own writings. Dr. Michael Horton, J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California and host of the White Horse Inn podcast, quotes both these men in his book Calvin on the Christian Life. In the twelfth chapter titled Vocation: Where Good Works Go, he states of Luther,
When we pray, “Give us this day our daily bread.” Luther says, God answers it “not directly as when he gave manna to the Israelites, but through the work of farmers and bakers.” They are God's “masks.” He writes, “God who pours out his generosity on the just and the unjust, believers and unbelievers alike, hides himself in the ordinary social functions and stations of life, even the most humble. God himself is milking the cows through the vocation of the milkmaid.”

John Calvin states of vocation, “From this will arise also a singular consolation, that no task will be so sordid and base, provided you obey your calling in it, that it will not shine and be reckoned very precious in God's sight.”

This concept is something that I have always known, but lately it has been appearing and reappearing in several different areas of my life. Our pastor has been preaching through the book of Ephesians. In several of his sermons, he reminds us that God works through ordinary means. This past June, a podcast I listen to titled “The White Horse Inn” hosted by Dr. Michael Horton featured a talk Dr. Horton gave at the Gospel Coalition Conference titled “Ordinary Grace.” Ordinary means of grace has also come up in my ladies Bible study and in my own personal Bible reading. As I have been meditating on the things I have heard, read and experienced in everyday life, the more amazing this truth has become to me.

I am reminded of the works of J. R. R. Tolkien, specifically The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Though it is never outright stated in his books, there is a theme throughout, especially in The Hobbit, of evil being conquered not by great heroes or amazing acts of magic, but by the everyday acts of ordinary creatures (in this case a hobbit). Peter Jackson, the director of both the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit trilogy, recognizes this theme and draws the attention of the audience to it by adding these lines to the dialogue for Gandalf in the first of the Hobbit movies: An Unexpected Journey. Gandalf is answering Lady Galadrial's question, “Why the halfling?” Why did he choose Bilbo Baggins to come on this epic journey? He responds,

“I don't know. Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid... and he gives me courage.” "Why the halfling?" Clip

The first time I saw this scene, I was brought to tears. Since this idea of ordinary accomplishing the extraordinary has become more apparent to me over the past few months, this scene means so much more to me now.

Lately, I have been trying to live everyday in the awareness of God working through ordinary means. Through this process, God has revealed misconceptions I have held and pointed out His grace in my own life in these past few months. Allow me to elaborate.

For years, I felt that if I was not in a certain profession with an important title, visibly changing the world, that I was wasting my life. As a teenager, I planned to be a pastor's wife or a missionary because I believed that I was not a good Christian girl if I did not become one of those two. Then when the boy I was dating (who is now my husband) told me that he did not feel that God was calling him to be a pastor, I had to reassess the situation. I decided to be a Christian school teacher instead.

What I am not saying is that wanting to be a pastor's wife or a Christian school teacher is wrong. What I believe is wrong is the mindset that “if I am not a pastor, pastor's wife, teacher, or missionary then I am not a good Christian and therefore not contributing to God's kingdom—not really.” Horton says it well in his book Ordinary: Sustainable Faith in a Radical, Restless World,

To be clear, it’s not as if all of the values being promoted today by calls to be “radical” or invitations to change the world are wrong-headed or unbiblical. Taking a summer to build wells in Africa is, for some, a genuine calling. But so is fixing a neighbor’s plumbing, feeding one’s family, and sharing in the burdens and joys of a local church. What we are called to do every day, right where God has placed us, is rich and rewarding.

This means that today, as I cleaned my house and folded my laundry, my life had meaning. By God's grace, I have come to realize that most of the time God works in ordinary ways through ordinary people.

This past March, I gave birth to our daughter. When I found out I was pregnant, I fully expected to have a normal delivery. I was going to carry my baby all the way to 40 weeks, but God had a bigger plan. Our baby girl was born at 26 weeks. We were told she would have an 85% chance of survival. I recognize that these are actually very good odds—better than 50 or 60 percent, but what my mind focused on was the 15% chance she had of dying. When she was born she weighed 1 lb. 8 oz. Her lungs, eyes, and skin (among other things) were not fully developed. After being in the NICU for 181 days, almost 6 months, our sweet girl was finally ready to come home. Once a baby so tiny we could see her ribs through her skin, now an over 12 pound bundle of happiness!



Our daughter is our tiny miracle! And yet her progress and growth is the result of everyday people and actions: doctors, nurses, medicine, (noisy) medical equipment, beds that provide heat and humidity, surgeons, topical ointments, therapists, special bottles, breathing treatments, tape—lots of tape! The list is compiled of regular, ordinary people and tools. But to me, to my husband and our families, those ordinary means are indeed extraordinary! They have saved our baby girl's life and are helping her to thrive!

Indeed, God has worked a miracle in our lives. This was not, however, an “overnight” or instant miracle like the ones we read about in the New Testament of the Bible. Could God have done that? Does He do that? I absolutely believe He does! But in our situation, and I argue in most situations, He chose to heal our baby through ordinary means. We praise God for each person who showed up to their “ordinary” job each and everyday that contributed to our daughter's healing. Some of those people we have never met and will never meet: the person who helped assemble the monitor that alarmed if she stopped breathing; the person who packaged the syringes that the nurses used for so many things—medication, milk, vitamins, etc.; the people who developed the computer systems that kept everything running at the hospital. I could continue for quite some time as I think about all the many different aspects that went into her healing process. These were all products of people with ordinary jobs who were faithful to their work every single day.

When a person puts their faith in Jesus Christ as Savior, God places Christ's righteousness on them. This is referred to as justification. Justification happens immediately. But God also sanctifies His children. The process of sanctification, making us like Christ, is just that—a process. It takes time. As a child of God, I am declared righteous, but I am not perfect. God is making me more godly as time passes. My church's ladies Bible study group has been reading through the book Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate by Jerry Bridges. In the seventh chapter titled Ungodliness, Bridges states, “Our goal in the pursuit of godliness should be to grow more in our conscious awareness that every moment of our lives is lived in the presence of God, that we are responsible to Him and dependent on Him. This goal would include a growing desire to please Him and glorify Him in the most ordinary activities of life.” Oh how different my perspective on life would be if I sought God in every aspect of my seemingly insignificant actions!

The feeling that our everyday, mundane activities are futile is a lie that can hinder and even paralyze us. But we, as Luther states, are the “masks of God.” God is working through the mothers doing laundry that seems to never end. He is working through the store employee stocking shelves day after day. He is working through doctors, CEO's, lawyers, police officers, teachers, construction workers, farmers, coffee shop baristas, factory workers, retail associates, etc.—from the highly esteemed to the most humble vocations.

We may not be reaching thousands of people at a time as the Apostle Peter did on the day of Pentecost. Our audience may consist of only a few, comprised of our children or our co-workers. We are preaching a message through our actions to those around us, maybe influencing only one or two, but we are difference makers nevertheless.

It is not me nor the deeds I do that are extraordinary. God is the extraordinary One. He has given each of us gifts, not to make us look good and cause others to be amazed. God has gifted us to bless each other. We need each other! We need each others' gifts. God's grace is spreading over all the earth in ordinary ways, through ordinary people.

“...God showers his extraordinary gifts through ordinary means of grace, loves us through ordinary fellow image bearers, and sends us out into the world to love and serve others in ordinary callings.”
– Michael Horton, Ordinary: Sustainable Faith in a Radical, Restless World.

Resources:


Calvin on the Christian Life by Dr. Michael Horton

Ordinary: Sustainable Faith in a Radical, Restless World by Dr. Michael Horton


White Horse Inn Podcast "Ordinary Grace"

The Hobbit; The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring; The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers; The Lord of the Rings; The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey directed by Peter Jackson "Why the halfling?" clip

Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate by Jerry Bridges




Comments

Ian said…
This was a delectable dripping from a honeycomb, Lauren- an outstanding celebration of the ordinary!
Lauren Keen said…
Thank you for your kind words, Ian! :-)