5 Helpful Tips to Control Acne

I have suffered with acne since I was about 11 years old. The intensity of my skin infections would vary periodically. For example, it was awful during my middle school years, but once I hit high school it seemed to be gone. Unfortunately, it returned my junior year of high school and continued to get worse into my second year of college. I was in college! This was not supposed to be bothering me anymore! For some, acne is only a stage they go through in middle school or high school. For others, like me, it is something they will struggle with forever. If you are like me, and you seem to be struggling with acne that never seems to go away, do not fret, my friend! There is hope! 
Though I still suffer from an occasional breakout here and there, I have discovered a few good tips that keep my skin looking healthy and acne free.

1. Invest in a good quality skin care line.
The first skin care line I tried that actually worked was Proactiv. I remember sitting in bed one night, watching television, feeling sorry for myself when the Proactiv commercial came on. I thought, enough is enough! I am done with this! If you choose to use Proactiv, I must warn you about a few side effects: dry, itchy skin for about the first two weeks of use, redness around the eyes (DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT ANYWHERE AROUND YOUR EYES OR THEY WILL BECOME RED AND SWOLLEN). The side effects were annoying at first, but in my mind they were worth it to be acne free. After a month of using this product, my acne was gone. 
I used Proactiv for 3 years until I was introduced to another very good skin care line. By this time, I was only getting an occasional breakout. I now use the Mary Kay Timewise skin care line. I love these products because they have a formula for normal/dry skin and combination/oily skin. I use the combination/oily formula. 
No matter what skin care line you use, remember this: each product in a skin care line is designed to work best when used with the other products in that line. So do not use a cleanser from one brand and a moisturizer from another brand. Stick with the same brand. 

2. After investing in a skin care line that works for you, use it! 
Cleanse and moisturize in the morning AND at night. Ladies, I know this can be hard. I have been tempted on several occasions to just go to bed without washing off my makeup, and I have paid for it in the morning. I always wake up with a breakout when I do not wash off my makeup. Wash off your make-up! 

3. Before touching your face to apply lotion or makeup, ALWAYS wash your hands.
Your hands will get dirty and oily after touching your hair, so always wash your hands after doing your hair. 

4. Use a toner
This goes along with number 1, but I wanted to single it out. The Mary Kay line I use (Timewise) includes the toner in the cleanser, however with my oily skin, I need to use a toner that is separate from the cleanser. Mary Kay offers a toner that is specific for acne sufferers (formula 3). I use my toner every night. It is okay to use it in the morning also, but especially use it at night after a long day of accumulating dirt and oil on your face. And just like when I do not wash my face at night, when I do not use my toner, I will wake up with a breakout in the morning. 

5. Use sunscreen
Though ultra-violet rays do not cause acne, exposure to the sun is damaging to your skin. Get a face moisturizer that has at least SPF 15. Several moisturizers include this. Mary Kay offers a moisturizer with sunscreen (Timewise Moisturizer SPF 25). Also, many cosmetic companies have started including SPF in their foundations or foundation primers. 

I hope these tips were helpful to you. Taking care of your skin takes time and effort, but once you begin to do each of these things, they will become a habit, and your skin will thank you! 

Comments